Friday, December 14, 2012

Looking for his family roots

 Late P Rajagopal Iyer, son of Padmanabh Iyer, from Sulakkal, did his schooling at Pollachi, and later, his HSC at Pachaippa High School, Chennai (1942-43).
His Bangalore-based son, Shanthakumar, would like to hear from anyone who knows someone in Pollachi or Sulakkal who might have some info. on his grandfather's family that once lived and had farmland at Sulakkal.
We reproduce excerpts from an e-mail he sent us:

I wish to introduce myself as Shanthakumar, a Chartered Accountant working as CFO of a reputed company in Bangalore. I have been reading your blog and thought you could help me in re-connecting to my family.I have written to you twice earlier but did not receive any reply from you.
My father late P.Rajagopal Iyer, hailed from Sulakkal, Pollachi, but due to some dispute, cut his ties with his family and settled down in Mysore for a long time. He had done his schooling somewhere in pollachi and had done his HSC/SSC in Pachaippas' High School, Chennai some time during 1942-1943 range (He was born on 29th December 1929).
He had four sisters, all elder to him, and an elder brother Vaidhyanathan who died young. My grand fathers' name was Padmanabh Iyer. He died in 1989 without telling us much about his family. Former Maharashtra Governer Mr.C.Subramaniam's was a familiy friend of my fathers' family
I visited Sulakkal sometime in 1997. I was directed to a nearby village ( Vadakkipalayam ?) where a woman recalled there was, in their village, a Padmanabha Iyer working for postal department. He was Telugu-speaking.As I recall my grandfather (Padmanabha Iyer) was a railway contractor and also had some agricultural lands in Sulakkal (arecanut).
I don't have a photo of my Grandfather.I enclose a photo of my father during his younger days.

Shanthakumar.R.P
shanthakumar_r_p@yahoo.com

No comments: