Friday, January 30, 2009

Wedded to the temple

My brother-in-law Govindan is a much-married man; he has had three weddings - twice to the same woman - my sister Bhagya.
This was the second time he married Bhagya, as Govindan turned sixty, a couple of years back. After retirement he also found another cause to which he became committed. Our Govindan is now wedded to a temple in Ber Serai, New Delhi - Vaikundanathar temple founded by Srirangam Srimad Andavan Sawmigal.

"Since it gave me an opportunity to devote my time in the service of god, I immediately accepted the offer", says Govindan in response to my e-mail asking him about his temple duties.
The deity, lord Vaikuntanath(Vishnu), at Ber Serai is similar to the one in Srirangam except that the deity is in a sitting posture. The photo taken during Navaratri Utsav has been sent by Balaji, a devotee from Vasant kunj. Decorating the deity is an art that has been mastered by Sriraman, described by Govindan as a young and energetic priest.

Govindan, though not as young as Sriraman, is no less energetic. He is at the temple morning and evening, for over eight hours, come rain or severe chill, seven days a week. When does he find time for family? That's the question they would want answered, but wouldn't bring themselves to ask.
The Govindans daughter Uma, a working mother living at the other end of the city, visits her parents with children Gautam and Saranya every other weekend; but for her father, it is work as usual.
Surely, Lord Vaikuntanatha wouldn't take it amiss if Govindan takes the Sunday off to be able to spend an evening with Saranya and Gautham. Doesn't the Lord appear at times in the guise of a child ?

Speaking of Govindan's godliness, his wedding, the first with Bhagya was performed in a choultry in Palani. I couldn't locate a photo; wouldn't it be nice, if Bhagya or Govindan sends us a photo we could use on this blog ?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

While accepting the job as manager of ther nearby Vaikuntanathji Mandir I didnt think of monetary help. We had already completed almost all our responsibility. I was wondering what I would do all the day when Bhagysa would be out for her duty. One would go mad seeing Tv all theday. So God has given me an oppotunity to channge my routine. as already I am viisting the temple every morning it didi not pinch me too much. saturday and Sundays are the days when people far and near finfd time to visit the temple and give offerings and donations etc, when my presence is much needed. Nevethless I find time during the day time. We make it a practice to visit pour daughter at least once in month. While it is true that I could spent more time with the kids, the distance between our houses prevent us from doing say every often.

Again last year the temple had the Samprokshanam (Kumbabhishekam) which was held for the first time after construction in 1972. I had contributed my timings to the fuction and helped inngetting lot of donation for the temple. Thje management is so pleased with me that they are not willing to leave me in spite of I being a Shaivaite working in Vaishnav temple. Even andavna the supreme head of the temple is pleased.

Govindan